FAQ about unique photo gifts
- If I’ve read the quality information and I still am not sure that my photo is good enough, can I email you the picture ?
- How much does shipping cost?
- Please discuss imperfections on a person’s face.
- How can a plaque be hung on a wall?
- What is laser etching?
- How do I get my photo to you?
- How good a photo do I need to send?
- Please explain your quantity discount system.
- What’s the difference between granite and marble?
- What are dog tags made from?
- How do I place an order ?
- Which of your products are good for fund raising?
- Where is the granite from?
- How deeply does the laser etching go?
- What type of images are best for engraving?
- I cannot decide between granite or marble for a plaque. How do I know which one to use?
- What if the background in the picture appears to be a distraction?
How do I place an order ?
1. If you have your picture(s) in digital format and have a very good idea of what you want, it is very simple. Simply click the “add to cart” button. There you can order, give your credit card information, etc. We will respond and ask you to email us with the pictures along with any special instructions. Tell us that you just placed the order.
2. If you would like to see a computer-generated preview of what your etching will look like before you pay, go the a granite, marble, sun catcher or dog tag page and read over the “how to order” section. 3. If you are not sure what you want, email us your questions & concerns to us. Then we will answer your e-mail so that you can order on line.
How can a plaque be hung on a wall?
We sell the wrought iron easel that has a wall mount or you can go to a frame store and have them size it and frame it for hanging. (Please note that it is only the two different sizes of wrought iron easels that can be hung on the wall. The other two styles do not have that capability.)
How much does shipping cost?
Shipping costs depend upon the product we sell and the country to which we ship. To find those costs, go to the USPS page.
From what country does the granite come?
It is mined in China.
How deeply does the laser etching go into the granite?
A laser removes 7 to 10 thousands of an inch of material from the surface of the granite.
Which of your products are good for fund raising?
Every year during Christmas season, many organizations (especially churches) use the Sun Catchers for fund raising. When you order 25 or more, you will get a huge discount. Email us for the current discount. We can etch a photo of your church or just about anything you want. You can auction this off and raise even more funds.
Also see Dog Tags. Go to that page and scroll down for quantity discount information.
When possible, please select photos that clearly show the person or object you would like engraved. The better the original photo the better your finished piece will be. If you are sending a digital image please use a 2 megapixel or better camera. The largest setting for JPG files should be used. For best results do NOT send photos printed on a home printer, email us the digital image instead. A photo developed or printed at a store is fine. If scanning a photo, please scan between 250 – 300 DPI. The quality of the engraving is tied directly to the quality of the image presented. Higher detail and better contrast produce better engravings. In terms of size, larger images work best. Please do not resize picture before emailing. File types we recommend are: JPG, JPEG, TIFF, and BMP. For more information, see our Good and Bad Photos page.
If I’ve read the quality information and I still am not sure that my photo is good enough, can I email you the picture?
Yes. You can e-mail the photo to us. The downside is that we will have to wait until one of our artists has looked at it. This could take up to 2 days. However, you will know for sure that the picture is of high enough quality. To save time, you may want to read over the Good and Bad Photo page again.
If there are naturally occuring imperfections on a person’s face (acne, wrinkles, etc.) that you do not like in a picture, you should touch up the photo or else ask us to remove the imperfections. Otherwise, they will likely show up.
What if the background in the picture appears to be a distraction?
If the background behind the picture in the photo would be a distraction, the artists will automatically remove it from the picture unless they are told othewise.
Granite is for outdoors. It does not engrave as finely as marble. Marble engraves with more detail and is a softer material. It therefore does not weather as well and is used indoors. The marble has polished edges and is between 1/4″ to 3/8″ thick. We use a computer driven laser engraving machine to reproduce your image on marble, granite, roof slate or glass. The result is an exact replica of your image. You will be absolutely amazed at the fine detail of the etching! For prices & sizes, see the Granite and Marble pages.
There is no doubt your pet was a cherished companion and part of your family. A beautifully crafted pet memorial is a wonderful tribute to the life that touched yours so deeply. We even have stock poems that we can engrave with your pet’s picture at no extra charge.
How do I get my photo to you?
When you click on any “add to cart” button, you will get you to the PayPal site where you can order by credit card or from a PayPal account. It will also give you an opportunity to email us a message and your photo. If you cannot figure out how to email the photo from PayPal, don’t worry about it. We will automatically ask you for a photo if we do not have one.
How good a photo do I need to send?
The simplest way to make sure your photo is a good one: E-mail a digital uncropped photo. To tell if the face is large enough, ask yourself if it would be larger than a quarter if the picture were printed. There is more information on our Good and Bad Photo page.
Please explain your quantity discount system.
Two of our products that are particularly good fund raisers have special discounts: Sun Catchers & Dog Tags. Scroll down the dog tag page to see the quantity discount information. Email us for more information about the quantity discounts on sun catchers.
What is the difference between granite and marble?
The compositions of granite and marble are very different. Granite is an igneous rock that was once a molten mass called magma. Marble is created by a concentration of bones and shells of sea creatures that build up a deposit of lime. Therefore, marble is not nearly as hard as granite and is best to be displayed indoors. Granite is the preferred material to use for memorials, table tops or flooring because of its durability. So, if you wish to display a plaque outside, it must be granite.
What is laser etching?
Laser etching is a state of the art technology that combines the temperature of the sun and power of light to permanently engrave photographic quality images into stone or other materials. For more information about laser etching, watch the short YouTube video below.
What does LaserPhoto.ca do?
For the answer to that, watch the video above.